Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Temptations and Will Power.....

 

 
 I hate that phrase...will power. It implies that somehow a person who says 'No" to the things that tempt them is somehow super strong and has super powers. Yeah, not so much.

As most of you know I am 3 weeks into my training for a bodybuilding competition. First timer, amateur, just a goal! So obviously I have to eat CLEAN! And yes, eating clean translates into mostly bland and boring. Chicken, broccoli, brown rice, oatmeal, a serving of fruit, AND lots of whey. I pack my lunches every day. I follow a schedule for my food. I eat high carbs on leg workout days and low carbs on days off. I get up and do cardio 5 out of 7 mornings at 5 am. I lift weights 5 nights a week after work. And so on....

Last night my daughter had a sleep over for her volleyball team at our house. I told her to tell the girls to bring treats and we ordered pizzas and had the pop. When I got home fromt he gym last night there were 10 extra girls and TONS of JUNK FOOD!! Puppy chow, cookies, Doritos, tortilla chips and queso, pizza rolls, pizza, fruit salad with cool whip, ice cream....

So I made my post workout shake and talked with the girls while ignoring the food spread out all over the kitchen. An hour later I ate some ground turky patties with mustard and brussel sprouts and then proceeded to go to the lower level of the house and put myself on lockdown. I watched Inception and went to bed. Why??? Because I am NOT super human and I do NOT have super powers and I wanted at least one piece of that pizza and a handful of puppy chow and, oh yes, some chips and queso would have been good for sure!!! I hoped they would eat all of the pizza so it wouldn't tempt me from the fridge today and made plans to send them home with all of the leftovers.

I didn't have the willpower to keep myself in front of those temptations for hours on end. No way. So I removed myself from the situation. Just like I won't be attending any Super Bowl gatherings this year. I am nothing special and I know my limitations....It is NOT easy. It is a ton of hardwork and constant decision making...should I? Could I? Will I? For the last three weeks the answers have been "no". No I won't. No I can't. No I shouldn't. My goal is to keep saying 'No' when I need to for the next 11 weeks. But i have to take it one step at a time, one decision at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment